Saturday, August 3, 2013

Other: My Favorite Book

The other day, I was missing Paris pretty terribly so I took a trip to Barnes & Noble to buy Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. The book chronicles Hemingway's life in Paris in the 1920's, and it really captures the spirit of the city, especially the Quarter Latin. I particularly enjoyed the book because of its attention to detail: I loved that I would recognize street names, I could taste the wine and oysters he had for dinner, and the scenes where he strolled through the Luxembourg Gardens were wonderful because that was my favorite Parisian pastime.

Several lines made me tear up, and the older Hemingway's reflections on the mistakes he made in his first marriage and how Paris reminds him of those were poignant and real. If you've ever visited Paris, or lived there, especially, this book is a must-read. It takes you back to the cobblestones boulevards and sidewalk cafes, while capturing a portrait of creative life there before it became a tourist staple.

If you've never been to Paris, save money and go immediately. Read this book while you're there, and visit Hemingway's old haunts.


No comments:

Post a Comment