Sunday, July 7, 2013

Food: Cool, Summer Salads

In the south, the weather right now is unbearable. It's so hot and humid that the though of using the oven or stove and generating any more heat in my stuffy apartment makes me sweat. One of my favorite things to eat in the summer is cool, no-cook salad! They're cheap, quick and absolutely delicious. Most importantly, they're usually really healthy!


My go-to salad is cucumber based (I hate lettuce), and I usually add whatever I have on hand. Olives, tomatoes, goat cheese or feta, sometimes ham cubes. Then I drizzle it with some Italian or balsamic vinaigrette, toss it and go! I usually make a batch at the beginning of the week and have it for lunch.

If you don't want a cucumber base, there are multiple options for healthy, cool salads.

Green Bean Balsamic Salad.
This Green Bean based summer salad is so colorful and looks so filling! Switch up your salad and follow the recipe here.

Bikini-friendly lunch.
This black-eyed pea based salad couldn't get any easier to make - they come in a can! Follow the recipe here for a healthy, yummy lunch option perfect to take to work.

Greek Tortellini Salad.
So, technically, you have to boil the pasta in this recipe but it looks so yummy I wouldn't mind! The tortellini is a great twist to a traditional pasta salad and the Greek veggies are perfect for summer. Follow the recipe here and bring it to your next potluck!

Other summer salads that look delish:

No comments:

Post a Comment